Safeguarding Children at The Beacon
We believe that it is always unacceptable for a child to experience abuse of any kind. We recognise our responsibility to safeguard the welfare of all children.
We will provide staff and volunteers with guidance to follow when they suspect a child may be experiencing abuse or at risk of harm. We will work co-operatively with other agencies to safeguard and promote the welfare of children. We will ensure that our concerns about our pupils are discussed with parents/carers first – unless we have reason to believe that such a move would be contrary to the child’s welfare.
- The Designated Safeguarding Lead for child protection is Mrs Hatton & Mrs Wynne
- The Deputy Designated Person for child protection is Miss Breakwell
- The Governor with responsibility for child protection is Mrs Hawkesford
- We will review our policy and procedures on an annual basis
The Beacon Pupil Referral Unit fully recognises its responsibilities for safeguarding children. Our policy applies to all staff, governors and volunteers working in the school.
There are five main elements to our policy:
- Ensuring we practice safer recruitment in checking the suitability of staff and volunteers to work with children;
- Raising awareness of child protection issues and equipping children with the skills needed to keep them safe;
- Developing and then implementing procedures for identifying and reporting cases, or suspected cases, of abuse;
- Supporting pupils who have been abused in accordance with his/her agreed Child Protection, Child in Need or Early Help plan;
- Establishing a safe environment in which children can learn and develop
We recognise that because of the day to day contact with children, school staff are well placed to observe the outward signs of abuse. The unit will therefore:
- Establish and maintain an environment where children feel secure, are encouraged to talk, and are listened to;
- Ensure children know that there are adults in the unit whom they can approach if they are worried;
- Include opportunities in the PSHE and ICT curriculum for children to develop the skills they need to recognise and stay safe from abuse
|Operation Encompass||KCSIE Part 1|